Mr. Sims is an associate in the firm’s Corporate Group. He focuses his practice primarily on corporate and commercial litigation in the Delaware Court of Chancery. Aaron also has experience litigating appeals in the Delaware Supreme Court. He has represented and counseled corporate and business clients in stockholder class and derivative actions, breach of fiduciary duty litigation, actions involving breach of contract, contests for corporate control, books and records demands, stock appraisal litigation, and expedited litigation involving applications for preliminary injunctions and temporary restraining orders. In addition, Aaron has assisted companies with special investigations of alleged improper conduct in response to stockholder pre-suit demands.
Aaron is a member of the firm’s Recruiting Committee. He also has an active pro bono practice, serving as a Guardian ad Litem with Delaware’s Office of the Child Advocate.
- Gilead Sciences, Inc. in litigation relating to an alleged breach of contract arising out of Gilead’s acquisition of Calistoga Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- Directors and officers of Ambry Genetics Corporation in expedited litigation brought by a stockholder seeking to preliminarily enjoin Ambry’s acquisition by Konica Minolta, Inc.
- Kite Pharma, Inc. in stock appraisal litigation arising out of Kite’s acquisition by Gilead Sciences, Inc.
- WhistlePig, LLC in expedited litigation relating to the proper composition of the company’s Board of Managers and executive management
- Directors and officers of Occam Networks, Inc. in a suit by stockholders alleging breach of fiduciary duty in connection with Occam’s acquisition by Calix Inc.
- A demand review committee of a global company’s board of directors in connection with several pre-suit stockholder demands
- Member and manager of Innovative Discovery LLC in connection with litigation by economic interest owners alleging breach of fiduciary duty and breach of contract
- T-Wall Master Limited Partnership in connection with a books and records demand
- Member and director of Knowledge Crossing LLC in litigation seeking judicial dissolution of the company
- Directors and officers of GrowX, Inc. in connection with litigation relating to the proper composition of the company’s Board of Directors and executive management
- NAMA Holdings LLC in protracted litigation with The Related Companies relating to a breach of contract
- Altera Corporation in stock appraisal litigation in connection with Altera’s acquisition by Intel Corporation
- Sims Discusses Actions That Companies and Their Directors and Officers Can Take to Protect Personal Emails from DiscoveryPractice Points, ABA Litigation Section, February 1, 2019
- Business Law Today, February 2016
- SIGTARP and the Executive-Legislative Clash: Confronting a Bowsher Issue with an Eye Toward Preserving the Separation of Powers During Future Crisis LegislationWashington and Lee Law Review (winner of the Washington and Lee Law Council Award for Outstanding Student Note), 2010
- December 12, 2017
Washington and Lee University School of Law, J.D., summa cum laude, 2011
- Order of the Coif
- Managing Editor, Washington and Lee Law Review
- Roy L. Steinheimer Jr. Commercial Law Award
- American Bankruptcy Institute Medal
George Wythe University, B.A., magna cum laude, 2007
- Law clerk to the Honorable Ferdinand F. Fernandez of the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, 2012-2013
- Law clerk to the Honorable Glen E. Conrad of the United States District Court for the Western District of Virginia, 2011-2012
Bar & Court Admissions
- Delaware, 2014
- Virginia, 2011
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- United States District Court for the District of Delaware
- United States District Courts for the Eastern and Western Districts of Virginia
Professional Activities and Honors
Associate Member, Delaware Board of Bar Examiners
Attorney guardian ad litem for Delaware's Office of the Child Advocate