Mr. Baldwin represents corporate clients in business litigation matters. He has handled cases in all Delaware state and federal courts, as well as numerous courts in other states.
A significant focus of his practice involves representing policyholders seeking coverage for directors and officers, property damage, product liability, environmental, aircraft liability, cyber liability, and other insurance claims. He also has an active commercial litigation and bankruptcy practice, and has frequently participated in mediation to successfully resolve his clients' matters.
Mr. Baldwin is a Fellow of the American College of Coverage and Extracontractual Counsel comprised of "preeminent coverage counsel in the United States and Canada." He is recognized in Who's Who Legal Insurance and Reinsurance, and in Best Lawyers in America in the areas of Bankruptcy and Creditor/Debtor Rights and Commercial Litigation.
- Acted as a Special Deputy Attorney General for the Idaho Department of Finance in its successful application to obtain the appointment of an Examiner in the DBSI bankruptcy. The Department of Finance is charged with enforcement of Idaho's State Securities Laws.
- Represented numerous companies and individual directors and officers in obtaining defense costs and indemnifications for claims under D&O policies.
- Represented investors in numerous lawsuits in claims against them alleging that life insurance policies they had purchased were unlawful Stranger Originated Life Insurance ("STOLI").
- Represents Norfolk Southern Railway in numerous major bankruptcies around the country, including the General Motors and Chrysler bankruptcies, and those of Bethlehem Steel, National Steel, WP Steel, James River Coal, Patriot Coal, and WR Grace.
- On behalf of Credit Suisse First Boston and Jefferies & Company, tried to a successful conclusion a valuation proceeding in the Bankruptcy Court concerning a New Orleans oil tank farm.
- Represented a major pharmaceutical company in litigation to obtain insurance coverage for the defense of toxic tort claims filed against the company.
- Assisted distributors of generic fen-phen components in obtaining insurance coverage for the products.
- Served as trial counsel for Hoechst Celanese Corporation in a successful effort to obtain insurance coverage for product liability claims involving plastic plumbing systems. The National Law Journal called the jury's verdict in that case one of the "most significant verdicts of 1997."
- Penn State Law Review, July 16, 2018
- June 1, 2009
- August 15, 2018
- August 15, 2017
- Three Potter Anderson Attorneys Named “Lawyers of the Year” and 21 Attorneys Named as "the Best Lawyers in America" for 2017August 15, 2016
Events & Speaking Engagements
- April 13, 2018
- August 24, 2016
- Temple University School of Law, LL.M. in Trial Advocacy
- Georgetown University Law Center, J.D.
- University of Massachusetts, B.A., magna cum laude; Phi Beta Kappa
Bar & Court Admissions
U.S. District Court for the District of Delaware
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third and Fourth Circuits
- U.S. Supreme Court
Professional Activities and Honors
- Recognized by The Best Lawyers in America in the areas of Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights, and Commercial Litigation
- Recognized by Who's Who Legal: Insurance & Reinsurance
- Elected as Fellow in the American College of Coverage and Extracontractual Counsel (ACCEC)
- Martindale Hubbell "AV Preeminent" Rated
- Member, Federal Bar Association
- Delaware State Bar Association
- American Bar Association; Litigation Section, Committee on Insurance Coverage Litigation; Business Law Section, Committee on Business Bankruptcy
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- Former Board Member and Secretary, Community Legal Aid Society of Delaware (“CLASI”); Co-Chair, CLASI Campaign for Justice