Dr. Reed is the head of the firm’s intellectual property transactional and counseling practice. She is the immediate past chair of the firm’s Business Group and a former member of the firm’s Executive Committee.
Though Janet counsels in all aspects of intellectual property, she focuses her practice on patents related to biotechnological inventions in food, medicine and agriculture. Her clients span a variety of industries and include large and small pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies, agricultural and food companies, and academic institutions. Janet has extensive experience in domestic and foreign patent prosecution, patent portfolio management and strategic planning, evaluation of new technology, drafting of license and other commercialization agreements, conducting and responding to due diligence inquiries, and preparation of opinions on patentability, infringement and freedom to operate.
In addition to her law degree, Janet holds a Ph.D. in biochemistry and a Master’s degree in plant pathology. Prior to entering patent law, Janet accumulated ten years of laboratory experience in biochemistry, molecular biology and plant physiology/pathology, in graduate-level research and as a visiting postdoctoral research scientist at DuPont.
- Nature Immunology, May 20, 2013
- If the Shoe Fits - Keep It: Document Retention Policies to Maximize Prior User Rights as a Patent Infringement Defense at Home and AbroadBloomberg, June 29, 2012
- Delaware Banker, November 1, 2011
- May 23-24, 2017
- February 23, 2016
Rutgers School of Law, J.D., with honors, 1993; Board of Editors, Rutgers Law Journal
Rutgers, the State University of New Jersey, Ph.D., 1988
University of Nebraska, Lincoln, M.S., 1982
Sonoma State University (California), B.A., cum laude, 1979
Bar & Court Admissions
- Delaware, 2009
U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, 1992
Professional Activities and Honors
- Recognized by Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business in the area of Intellectual Property
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Association of University Technology Managers (AUTM)
- International Trademark Association (INTA)
- Licensing Executives Society