Dr. Safran is a partner in the firm’s Intellectual Property Transactional and Counseling practice group. His practice includes all segments of patent and trademark prosecution, including the preparation of patent and trademark applications; portfolio development and management; client counseling; patentability, trademarkability, non-infringement, and invalidity opinions; and due diligence.
Technical areas of Dr. Safran’s practice include all areas of biotechnology (such as biochemistry, immunology, cell biology, microbiology, and bacteriology), plant genetics, chemistry, chemical engineering, polymer chemistry, pharmaceuticals, pesticides and herbicides, screening and diagnostic assays, diagnostic agents, and methods of treatment.
Dr. Safran also has extensive licensing experience, including intellectual property in-licensing and out-licensing, joint venture licensing, company-to-company licensing, and industry/university collaborations. Additionally, Dr. Safran works closely with the firm’s Mergers and Acquisition practice, counseling clients on the intellectual property aspects of their business transactions.
- If the Shoe Fits - Keep It: Document Retention Policies to Maximize Prior User Rights as a Patent Infringement Defense at Home and AbroadBloomberg, June 29, 2012
- Annual Review of Developments in Business and Corporate LitigationABA Section of Law, 2004-2015 Editions
- Register for our free legal seminar on February 23, 2016: Protecting Your Business - Strategies for Growth and ResilienceFebruary 23, 2016
- Firm To Exhibit in Delaware PavilionPhiladelphia, PA, June 16-18, 2015
Temple University Beasley School of Law, J.D., 2003; Research Editor, Temple Environmental and Technology Law Journal
Post-Doctoral Fellow, University of Delaware, 1999-2000
University of Texas Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, Ph.D. in Biochemistry, 1999
East Tennessee State University, B.S. in Biology, 1992
Bar & Court Admissions
- Delaware, 2003
United States District Court for the District of Delaware, 2003
Registered to practice before the United States Patent and Trademark Office
Professional Activities and Honors
- Delaware State Bar Association
- American Bar Association; Intellectual Property Section
- American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA)