Jennifer Gimler Brady is the immediate past chair of the firm's Litigation Group and a former member of the firm's Executive Committee, on which she served for over a decade. She currently serves as General Counsel to the firm. She concentrates her practice in the areas of health law, labor and employment law, and commercial litigation. She regularly advises long-term care providers, physician practices and other health care providers on a variety of issues, including licensing and certification, fraud and abuse laws, medical privacy and confidentiality, and litigation matters. Jennifer also counsels employers on labor and employment issues, including unionization and collective bargaining, employee supervision, discipline and discharge, sexual harassment, and employment discrimination.
Jennifer is a frequent lecturer on such topics as employment practices, fraud and abuse laws, long-term care litigation and regulation, medical records confidentiality, compliance under the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act ("HIPAA"), and medical practice management. Recent speaking engagements include: seminars on exclusions under federal health care programs, reasonable accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act, business associate agreements under HIPAA, and "hot topics" for employers.
- Represented a Fortune 500 corporate employer in a jury trial in which a former employee alleged that he was wrongfully terminated in retaliation for having a workers' compensation claim.
- Obtained a favorable jury verdict on behalf of another corporate employer in a trial involving allegations of race discrimination.
- Bloomberg Law Reports, September 21, 2011
- July 7, 2009
- Resolving Business Disputes Without Costly Litigation: The Delaware Voluntary Alternative Dispute Resolution ActJune 1, 2006
- December 1, 2004
- Long-Term Care Under Fire: A Case for Rational EnforcementJournal of Comtemporary Health Law and Policy, December 1, 2001
- April 25, 2019
- August 29, 2018
- August 15, 2018
- May 23, 2018
- May 3, 2018
- August 15, 2017
- August 15, 2017
- Client Alert: Governor Carney Signs New Wage History Law that Prohibits Employers from Asking Job Candidates about Compensation HistoryJune 19, 2017
- Donald Wolfe Ranks in the Top Ten 2017 Delaware Super Lawyers; 10 Attorneys in Five Practices RecognizedJune 5, 2017
- CLIENT ALERT: U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit Rules that Discrimination Based on Sexual Orientation is a Form of Sex Discrimination Prohibited under Title VIIApril 7, 2017
- November 23, 2016
- Three Potter Anderson Attorneys Named “Lawyers of the Year” and 21 Attorneys Named as "the Best Lawyers in America" for 2017August 15, 2016
- August 31, 2011
- May 1, 2011
- April 1, 2011
- Perplexing Prescription: Examining the new health care lawJune 1, 2010
- Jury finds no evidence of racial discrimination in employee's terminationJune 1, 2006
Events & Speaking Engagements
- May 7, 2019
- December 5, 2018
- November 8, 2018
- September 20, 2018
- April 23, 2018
- April 12, 2018
- Potter Anderson Hosts Seminar on Protecting Your Business: Cyber Threats, Employees and Financial SecurityMay 16, 2017
- Dover, Delaware, December 15, 2016
- Physical and Cognitive Disabilities Under the ADADelaware State Bar Association, December 8, 2016
- December 6, 2016
- DuPont Country Club, December 10, 2015
- Seminar: What to Expect When Government Regulators (and Their Private Counterparts) Look into Your BusinessMay 12, 2015
Widener University School of Law, LL.M., Health Law, 2000; awarded Certificates of Achievement for outstanding performance in LL.M. courses in the areas of health care antitrust law, managed care organizations, and advanced health care transactions; thesis entitled, "Long Term Care Under Fire: A Case for Rational Enforcement," was published in Volume 18 of the Journal of Contemporary Health Law and Policy (Winter 2001)
The Pennsylvania State University, Dickinson School of Law, J.D., 1990; Managing Editor, Dickinson Law Review
The College of William and Mary, B.A., 1987
Bar & Court Admissions
- Delaware, 1990
United States District Court for the District of Delaware, 1991
United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit, 1991
Supreme Court of the United States, 2002
Professional Activities and Honors
Recognized by Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business as a leading practitioner in the area of labor and employment law
Named as a 2014-2015 "Lawyer of the Year" in Wilmington, DE by The Best Lawyers in America for Health Care Law.
Named to the The Best Lawyers in America 2017, Delaware Super Lawyers, and Best Lawyers in Delaware (Delaware Today magazine) listings in the area of health law.
Delaware State Bar Association; Health Law Section (former Chair); Labor and Employment Law Section; Litigation Section; Former Chair of the DSBA's Delaware Minority Job Fair Committe
American Bar Association; Health Law Section; Labor and Employment Law Section; Litigation Section
Adjunct Professor, Widener University School of Law
Associate Member, Delaware Health Care Facilities Association
Member, American Health Care Association's Legal Committee
Member, Delaware State Chamber of Commerce Board of Governors
Member, Board of Trustees, Wilmington Friends School
Member, Delaware Hospice Ethics Committee
Board of Trustees, Delaware Curative Workshop (Past President of the Board)
Volunteer Attorney, Office of the Child Advocate and Delaware Volunteer Legal Services, Inc.
Past President of the Board of Trustees of the Community Legal Aid Society, Inc.
Legal Advisor, The Christmas Shop Foundation, Inc.