Mr. Quinn practices primarily in the areas of corporate acquisitions and divestitures, exempt organizations, and nonqualified deferred compensation arrangements. John also provides support in board-related matters and general tax matters. He serves as the general counsel to the Delaware Health Facilities Authority and assisted the Delaware Sports Commission in the establishment of that organization.
John's recent transactions include tax-free corporate reorganizations, split-offs under IRC Section 368(a)(1)(D), like-kind exchanges, equity and asset acquisitions and divestitures, premerger notification reporting under the Hart-Scott-Rodino Act, and nonqualified deferred compensation arrangements under IRC Section 409A.
Prior to attending law school, John was a chemical engineer with the DuPont Company holding technical and management positions in plant operations and maintenance with the Freon™ fluorocarbons, sulfuric acid, and titanium technologies businesses. While with DuPont, John's experience and expertise was concentrated in the areas of production-scale fluorination reaction chemistry and the storage, handling, and transportation of highly toxic materials.
- Delaware Business Court Insider, March 28, 2012
- IRS Introduces Section 409A Correction ProgramSeptember 1, 2010
- July 12, 2010
University of Pennsylvania Law School, J.D., 1997; Senior Editor, Journal of International Economic Law
University of Delaware, Graduate School, College of Business & Economics
Lehigh University, B.S.Ch.E., magna cum laude, 1977
Bar & Court Admissions
- Delaware, 1997
United States District Court for the District of Delaware, 1998
United States Tax Court, 2003
Professional Activities and Honors
- John is a frequent speaker on various Delaware taxation issues including licensing, gross receipts tax and realty transfer tax; and exempt organization issues including lobbying and political campaigning.
- Delaware State Bar Association; Member and Former Chair, Section of Taxation
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Wilmington Tax Group
- Director, Serviam Girls Academy, Inc.
- Former Trustee, Ingleside Homes, Inc.
- Former Trustee, Lawyers' Fund for Client Protection
- Tau Beta Pi national engineering honor society