Mr. Fischer primarily practices in the areas of corporate, commercial and alternative entities litigation; he also advises directors regarding shareholder derivative and class action suits.
In addition, he has defended shareholder and unitholder class and derivative actions, represented corporations and/or directors in commercial disputes, takeover disputes, corporate injunctive proceedings, advancement / indemnification suits, and litigation challenging mergers and acquisitions, and represented individuals and corporations in prosecuting and defending litigation arising under various sections of the Delaware General Corporation Law, including appraisal actions, dissolution proceedings, and books and records lawsuits.
- Lorillard and its board in class action litigation related to Reynolds’ proposed acquisition of Lorillard
- Suntory Holdings in shareholder litigation over its acquisition of Beam Inc.
- Simon Property Group in commercial litigation
- SoftBank in litigation related to the Sprint/Clearwire transaction
- Wal-Mart Stores in shareholder proposal litigation
- Bank of America in shareholder litigation over its merger with Merrill Lynch
- Dollar Thrifty and its board relating to its merger with Hertz
- Alpha Natural Resources in connection with litigation surrounding its acquisition of Massey Energy Company
- J. Crew directors in litigation challenging its buyout
- Cogent and its directors with respect to 3M’s acquisition
- The controlling stockholder of Delphi Finanacial Group in litigation challenging the acquisition of Delphi by Tokio Marine
- Emulex and its board relating to Broadcom’s hostile offer
- Weinstein Enterprises and its Board in shareholder derivative litigation
- Intel in shareholder litigation related to its acquisition of McAfee
- XO Communications shareholders challenging an asset sale proposed by its controlling shareholder Carl Icahn
- BlueScope Steel and Butler Manufacturing in appraisal litigation
- PeopleSoft and its directors in connection with Oracle's hostile offer
- Hallwood Realty Partners related to Carl Icahn's hostile bid for the partnership
- Hewlett-Packard Company in litigation brought by Walter Hewlett relating to the HP-Compaq merger
- Baxter HealthCare Corporation in a commercial dispute with Aventis Behring
- Donald Wolfe Ranks in the Top Ten 2017 Delaware Super Lawyers; 10 Attorneys in Five Practices RecognizedJune 5, 2017
- May 26, 2017
- Three Potter Anderson Attorneys Named “Lawyers of the Year” and 21 Attorneys Named as "the Best Lawyers in America" for 2017August 15, 2016
- Chambers USA 2016 Names 21 Potter Anderson Attorneys and 5 Practice Areas Among the Best in DelawareMay 27, 2016
- Potter Anderson Partner, Donald J. Wolfe, Jr., Tops 2015 Delaware Super Lawyers Rankings; 17 Potter Anderson Attorneys in Eight Practice Areas RecognizedMay 15, 2015
- Potter Anderson Represents SHP Asset Management in Successful Breach of Contract Dispute Against CalPERsSeptember 30, 2013
Wake Forest University School of Law, J.D., cum laude, 1992; Recipient American Jurisprudence Awards in Legal Research and Writing, 1990, Real Property Security, 1991, and Federal Jurisdiction, 1992
James Madison University, B.A., cum laude, 1989
Bar & Court Admissions
- Delaware, 1992
Professional Activities and Honors
- Recognized by Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business as a leading practitioner in the area of Chancery litigation.
- Recognized by The Best Lawyers in America 2017 in the area of Corporate Law.
- American Bar Association; Business Law Section, LLCs, Partnerships and Unincorporated Entities Committee; Chair of Litigation Subcommittee
- Board of Editors, The Delaware Law Review