Michael P. Maxwell is a partner in the firm's Business Group. He advises clients on matters of Delaware corporate and business law in transactions involving Delaware alternative entities and corporations, including investment and private equity fund transactions, fund formations, joint ventures, cross border transactions, mergers, acquisitions, asset sales and purchases, dissolutions and restructurings. He also represents both lenders and borrowers in a variety of commercial financing transactions, including asset-based financing, real estate mortgage financings and other credit related transactions. Mike also advises management, boards and special committees of Delaware entities on matters of operation and governance, including with respect to fiduciary duty and contractual interpretation issues. Mike provides legal opinions on issues of Delaware law in connection with the foregoing.
- Delaware counsel to a private equity fund with respect to a sale by one of its subsidiaries of an investment in a Chinese wholly-foreign owned entity.
- Delaware counsel to a large private equity fund related to the acquisition of certain oil and gas companies and assets.
- Delaware counsel to private equity fund with respect to 9 billion dollar buyout of a real estate company that owns shopping centers.
- Delaware counsel for various private equity and hedge funds in connection with formation, governance and structure.
- Delaware counsel to company entering into a joint venture for purpose of acquiring debt instruments.
- Delaware counsel to a minority member of a joint venture LLC in connection with bringing in additional investors to the joint venture LLC.
- Counsel to various lenders and borrowers in real estate mortgage financing transactions
- Counsel to Delaware corporation in sale of assets.
- October 4, 2019
- April 26, 2018
- Maxwell Discusses the Chancery Court Dismissal of Stockholder Action Challenging Private Equity DealBusiness Law Today, October, 2017
- Maxwell Discusses Eliminating Fiduciary Duty Uncertainty: The Benefits of Effectively Modifying Fiduciary Duties in LLC AgreementsFebruary, 2013
- January 7, 2019
Events & Speaking Engagements
- October 24, 2019
- June 20, 2019
- June 13, 2019
- May 9, 2019
- February 24, 2019
- January 8, 2019
- October 23, 2018
- July 11, 2018
- May 11, 2018
- December 14-15, 2017
- October 24, 2017
- Whittaker and Maxwell Discuss Exit Strategies in LLC Agreements: Member Withdrawal, Resignation or DisassociationMarch 16, 2017
- February 26 - March 1, 2017
- September 28, 2016
- Maxwell Presents Webinar on Wrapping It Up for Alternative Entities: What To Do When The End is Near for LLCs and LPsSeptember 13, 2016
- May 12, 2016
- May 28, 2014
Tulane Law School, J.D., 2007
University of Louisville, B.A., cum laude, 2004
Bar & Court Admissions
- Delaware, 2008
Professional Activities and Honors
Member, American Bar Association, Business Law Section
Member, Delaware State Bar Association
Member, J. Reuben Clark Law Society
Attorney guardian ad litem for Delaware's Office of the Child Advocate
Board Member, Great Oaks Charter School of Wilmington