Richard L. Horwitz, a retired Potter Anderson partner, practiced in commercial litigation, primarily focusing on intellectual property, contract and business tort matters. He advised and represented corporations with respect to Delaware corporate law issues, including corporate governance and directors' duties and also with respect to insurance coverage for directors and officers, environmental, products liability, intellectual property, professional liability and business tort matters.
Rich served as chair of the firm's Litigation Group and as a member of the firm's Executive Committee for more than six years.
A frequent speaker on corporate and litigation matters, his speaking engagements include:
- ABA Section of Litigation, Corporate Counsel Committee Annual CLE Conference, February 2015 (Moderator on Jury Trial Issues)
- ABA Section of Litigation Annual CLE Conference, April 2014 (Moderator on Jury Trial Issues)
- American Conference Institute, Paragraph IV Disputes, December 2011 (Speaker on ANDA Litigation Issues)
- ABA Annual Meeting, August 2011 (Moderator on General Counsel Forum)
- ABA Section of Litigation Annual CLE Conference, April 2011 (Speaker on Litigation Management Issues)
- ABA Annual Meeting, August 2009 (Moderator on Jury Trial Issues)
- Association of Chief Patent Counsel Meeting, June 2009 (Speaker on Patent Litigation Issues)
- ABA Section of Litigation Annual CLE Conference, April 2009 (Speaker on Mock Trial and Focus Group Issues)
- ABA Section of Litigation, Committee on Corporate Counsel Mid-Winter Meeting, February 2009 (Moderator of Litigation Management Roundtable)
- Delaware State Bar Association Seminar, December 2008 (Speaker on Technology Disputes in the Court of Chancery)
Rich represented corporate clients in matters involving patent infringement, antitrust, agency and business tort issues, insurance coverage for D&O, product liability and business tort claims, alleged breaches of merger, financing and stock purchase agreements, and in corporate and partnership litigation, representing targets, acquirers, directors and general partners in a variety of litigation contexts.
His successes include several favorable bench and jury verdicts in patent cases, some for plaintiffs and some defendants, including one plaintiff's verdict that was listed as one of the largest jury verdicts in the United States in 2005.
- May 18, 2012
- December 23, 2011
- April 18, 2007
- January 1, 2000
Duke University, J.D., with distinction, 1982; Note and Comment Editor, Duke Law Journal, 1981-1982; Moot Court Board
Amherst College, B.A., 1979
Law Clerk to Justice Robert L. Clifford, Supreme Court of the State of New Jersey, 1982-1983
Bar & Court Admissions
- Delaware, 1983
United States District Court for the District of Delaware, 1983
Professional Activities and Honors
Rich has been recognized by Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business, Lawdragon 3000, Best Lawyers in America, Benchmark Litigation, Super Lawyers, IAM Patent 1000 — The World's Leading Patent Practitioners and Legal Media Group's Patent Law Expert Guide, as a leading practitioner.
Delaware State Bar Association
American Bar Association: Council Member, Litigation Section; Former Co-Division Director, Litigation Section; former Co-Chair, Litigation Section Committee on Corporate Counsel; Litigation Section Task Force on the Economics of Litigation; former Co-Chair, Litigation Section Trial Evidence Committee; former Co-Chair, Litigation Section Pretrial Practice and Discovery Committee; former Co-Chair, Patent Litigation Subcommittee of the Litigation Section Intellectual Property Litigation Committee
United States District Court for the District of Delaware, Intellectual Property Litigation Advisory Committee
Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America