Mr. Price practices regularly in several areas including utility and railroad, products liability defense, general defense and commercial litigation, environmental and toxic tort litigation defense and computer law. He represents automobile and automotive components manufacturers, product manufacturers, commercial enterprises and other companies in the areas noted above. He assists in negotiation of contracts and contract modifications and reviews language for product warnings and instructions.
Chip has tried numerous jury and non-jury cases in the federal and state courts in Delaware and Pennsylvania and has also arbitrated and mediated numerous cases. He recently served as a Special Master in a complex commercial adversary proceeding in Delaware Bankruptcy Court. He often serves as an arbitrator and a mediator for the courts and is also referred mediations by trial judges from the state courts.
- Representation of auto manufacturers in three complex crashworthiness trials. McLain v. GM, Wolhar v. GM and Lindahl v. Mazda Motors. Won appeals on the seat belt defense and requirements of expert testimony.
- Represented a regional utility in a complex real estate trial, which included EMF allegations.
- Rrepresented companies in premises liability cases, including serving as lead counsel for two automobile companies, Chrysler and GM, involving liability of a landowner to employees of independent contractors.
- Obtained summary judgments which were affirmed on appeal by the Delaware Supreme Court in Roca v. E. l. Du Pont and Archie v. E. l. Du Pont, as one of the lead lawyers in the arguments.
- Obtained a summary judgment in an electrocution/fall premises liability case, Yoder v. Delmarva Power & Light Company, affirmed by the Delaware Supreme Court.
- Defense of large corporations and entities in other complex head injury and wrongful death cases, including catastrophic accidents and electrocution cases.
- Serves as counsel for several educational institutions: lead counsel for Widener University in Avins v. Widener University, a complex tort case involving a six-week jury trial and also tenure dismissal hearings for Professor Avins; counsel for the Delaware Law School of Widener University in multiple cases brought by a former student in Martin v. Delaware Law School of Widener University; Delaware State University in two cases involving alleged injuries to students on campus.
- Served as counsel for a large regional utility in regulatory proceedings in Delaware, New Jersey and Maryland.
- Law360, October 25, 2017
- March 1, 2011
- June 28, 2010
- Delaware Product Liability DefenseDefense Research Institute, Section Updates 2002, 2007, January 1, 2007
- July 1, 2004
- Roca v. E. I. du Pont de Nemours and Company Property Owners' Duties To An Independent Contractor's Employees In DelawareDecember 1, 2001
- October 2, 2018
- August 15, 2018
- August 15, 2018
- October 23, 2017
- August 15, 2017
- Three Potter Anderson Attorneys Named “Lawyers of the Year” and 21 Attorneys Named as "the Best Lawyers in America" for 2017August 15, 2016
- Four Potter Anderson & Corroon Attorneys Named “Lawyers of the Year” by The Best Lawyers in America 2015August 19, 2014
- October 26, 2011
- April 27, 2010
Events & Speaking Engagements
- November 6, 2018
Cornell University Law School, 1975, J.D.
Davidson College, A.B., cum laude, 1972; Phi Beta Kappa
Bar & Court Admissions
- Delaware, 1975
Professional Activities and Honors
- Named as The Best Lawyers in America 2019 Wilmington-DE Personal Injury Litigation - Defendants "Lawyer of the Year"
- Named as The Best Lawyers in America 2017 Wilmington-DE Personal Injury Litigation - Defendants "Lawyer of the Year"
- Named as The Best Lawyers in America 2014 Wilmington-DE Personal Injury Litigation - Defendants "Lawyer of the Year"
- Named to the Best Lawyers in America in 2009 - 2019. Previously, he was selected by a vote of his peers as one of Delaware's top five defense lawyers on two separate occasions between 2000 and 2006.
- Named a 2017 Benchmark Litigation Star
- Delaware State Bar Association; Awards Committee
- Founding Board member and former President, Defense Counsel of Delaware
- Chairman, Civil Rules Committee - Delaware Superior Court
- Zoning Hearing Board, Concord Township, Pennsylvania
- Author, Delaware Superior Court Jury Instruction Project, Product Liability Section
- Bencher, Rodney Inn of Court
- Regularly serves as a volunteer for the Delaware courts for projects related to pending issues such as technology rules and rule implementation
- Third Circuit Advisory Committee - Former member
- Former Chair, Delaware Supreme Court Rules Committee
- District of Delaware Local Rules Advisory Committee - Former member