Mr. Norman is Chair of the firm's Corporate Group and practices primarily in the areas of corporate and commercial litigation. Steve has substantial experience in litigating corporate and commercial disputes in the Court of Chancery and the District Court of Delaware, including stockholder class and derivative actions, takeovers and various proceedings under the Delaware General Corporation Law. Steve frequently counsels stockholders, officers and directors, and Delaware corporations regarding various matters of Delaware corporate and partnership law.
Steve has served as a speaker on Delaware corporate law issues for a number of national and regional law firms as part of their internal continuing education programs. Steve has written extensively in the areas of corporate and commercial litigation. His credits include the following: Co-author: The Failing Corporation - Directors’ Duties and Creditors’ Rights; Co-author: Directors’ Duties Under Dissolution; Co-author: Directors’ Duties to the Holders of Preferred Stock, Warrants and Debentures; Co-author: The Injunction Roller Coaster, Litigation (Winter 1995).
Defense and settlement of several stockholder class actions, including actions against AIG, Nationwide, Pepsi, Anheuser-Busch, Citrix, Intel, Ameritrade, The Walt Disney Company, Hallwood Realty Partners, Liquid Audio, Inc., TLC Beatrice International Holdings, Inc. and Marriott Corporation
Defense of various companies, including Wal-Mart, Hewlett-Packard Company, Google, AON, JPMorgan/Chase, National City Bank Corporation, CIBC and Wallace Computer Services, Inc.
Special committee investigations for Citigroup, Newmont Mining Corporation, Lucent Technologies and Rockefeller Center.
Participated as counsel in many of the more significant Delaware corporate decisions over the past twenty years, including:
- Espinoza v. Hewlett-Packard Co., 2011 WL 941464 (Del. Ch.), aff'd sub nom. Hurd v. Espinoza, 34 A.3d 1084 (Del. 2011)
- Zucker v. Andreessen (Hewlett-Packard Co.), 2012 WL 2366448 (Del. Ch.)
- In re Intel Corp. Derivative Litigation, 621 F. Supp. 2d 165 (D. Del. 2009)
- Hexion Specialty Chemicals, Inc. v. Huntsman Corp., 959 A.2d 47 (Del. Ch. 2008)
- In re Walt Disney Co. Derivative Litig., 906 A.2d 27 (Del. 2006)
- In re Walt Disney Company Derivative Litigation, 2005 WL 2056651 (Del. Ch.)
- Perlegos v. Atmel Corp., 2007 WL 475453 (Del. Ch.)
- Levitt Corp. v. Office Depot, Inc.; 2008 WL 1724244 (Del. Ch.)
- Gotham Partners, L.P. v. Hallwood Realty Partners, L.P., 2003 WL 22998803 (Del)
- Gotham Partners, L.P. v. Hallwood Realty Partners, L.P., 855 A.2d 1059 (Del. Ch. 2003)
- Mercier v. Inter-Tel (Delaware), Inc., 929 A.2d 786 (Del. Ch. 2007)
- Moore Corp. Ltd. v. Wallace Computer Services, Inc., 907 F. Supp. 1545 (D. Del. 1995)
- Ivanhoe Partners v. Newmont Mining Corp., 535 A.2d 1334 (Del. 1987)
- Hewlett v. Hewlett-Packard Co., 2002 WL 549137 (Del. Ch.)
- Hewlett v. Hewlett-Packard Co., 2002 WL 818091 (Del Ch.)
- Pfizer v. Warner-Lambert Co., 1999 WL 33236240 (Del. Ch.)
- Disney v. Walt Disney Co., 2004 WL 1776688 (Del. Ch.)
- Hubbard v. Hollywood Park Realty Enterprises, 1991 WL 3151 (Del. Ch.)
- Berlin v. Emerald Partners, 552 A.2d 482 (Del. 1988)
- Citron v. Fairchild Camera and Instrument Corp., 569 A.2d 53 (Del. 1989)
- Carlton Inv. v. TLC Beatrice Intern. Holdings, Inc., 1996 WL 189435 (Del. Ch.).
- Chambers USA 2016 Names 21 Potter Anderson Attorneys and 5 Practice Areas Among the Best in DelawareMay 27, 2016
- Two Potter Anderson Attorneys Named “Lawyers of the Year” and 25 Attorneys Named as "the Best Lawyers in America" for 2016August 17, 2015
- May 19, 2015
- Four Potter Anderson & Corroon Attorneys Named “Lawyers of the Year” by The Best Lawyers in America 2015August 19, 2014
- May 23, 2014
Hofstra School of Law, 1986, J.D., With Distinction; Hofstra Law Review, 1984-1985; Member, Notes and Comments Editor, 1983-1984
Law Clerk, The Honorable William W. Caldwell, United States District Judge for the Middle District of Pennsylvania, 1985-1987
Indiana University of PA, B.A., summa cum laude, 1982
Bar & Court Admissions
- Pennsylvania, 1985
Professional Activities and Honors
- Recognized by Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business as a leading practitioner in the area of corporate litigation.
- Recognized by The Best Lawyers in America in the areas of Commercial Litigation and Mergers & Acquisitions.
- Delaware State Bar Association
- American Bar Association; co-chair of the Corporate Governance Committee for the Corporate Counsel Committee; former co-editor of the Newsletter for the Corporate Counsel Committee of the ABA Litigation Section; co-chair of the Emerging Issues Committee for the Class Action and Derivative Suits Committee
- Catholic Leadership Institute – member of Development committee