Wendy K. Voss, a retired Potter Anderson partner, concentrated her practice in the areas of labor and employment law and employee benefits. She represented management in a wide variety of industries, providing counsel on legal compliance, personnel policies and best practices, and benefit plan design and compliance. She represented clients before the EEOC, the Delaware Department of Labor, and other state agencies, as well as before the NLRB and the Delaware Public Employee Relations Board. Her experience included first-chair trials in the Delaware courts, and she has successfully presented cases to the Supreme Court of Delaware and the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit. Wendy frequently provided strategic counsel to officers and directors and the entities they serve on both state and federal law issues, with a focus on on-going or anticipated litigation and litigation-avoidance.
Her prominence in the labor and employment field has been recognized by Chambers USA - America's Leading Lawyers for Business, Best Lawyers in America®, and Martindale-Hubbell’s®, which awarded her its highest, AV Preeminent™ rating. Recently, she was named as Best Lawyers 2019 Wilmington, DE "Labor Law - Management Lawyer of the Year." Only a single lawyer in each practice area in a community is honored as a "Lawyer of the Year."
- Defended claims of employment discrimination in the Delaware Courts and at the administrative level
- Negotiated collective bargaining agreements on behalf of public and private employers, including several healthcare entities in Delaware; counseled client through a successful union decertification campaign
- Represented policy holder complex insurance coverage litigation, involving issues of first impression under Delaware law and resulting in favorable settlement with insurer
- Defended unfair labor practice charges before the NLRB
- Enforced executive noncompetition agreements in the Delaware Court of Chancery in the matters Wal-Mart Stores, Inv. v. Mullaney & CVS Caremark Corp. and Presidio Networked Solutions, Inc. v. Glahn & ACS (US), Inc.
The Marshall-Wythe School of Law of The College of William & Mary, J.D., summa cum laude, 1992; Research Fellow; Order of the Coif; William & Mary Law Review, 1990-1992
University of Michigan, B.A., with high honors, 1974; Phi Beta Kappa; James B. Angell Scholar
Bar & Court Admissions
- Delaware, 1992
District Court for the District of Delaware, 1993
Third Circuit Court of Appeals, 1995
Professional Activities and Honors
Recognized in 2007–2019 by Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business for her work in the area of labor and employment law
Named Best Lawyers' Wilmington, DE Labor Law - Management "Lawyer of the Year" in 2015, 2016 and 2019
Named in the 2020 edition of Best Lawyers in America, a preeminent peer-review based referral guide to the legal profession in the United States for her work in labor and employment law
Received an AV Preeminent™ rating by Martindale-Hubbell ®.
Delaware State Bar Association; Labor and Employment Section (former Chair); Litigation Section
American Bar Association; Labor & Employment Section; Litigation Section
Member, Board of Bar Examiners of the Delaware Supreme Court (2004-2010, Vice Chair 2009-2010)
Member, Advisory Board, Delaware Center for Justice
Trustee, Salesianum School (2002-2008)
Board of Directors of Goodwill Industries of Delaware and Delaware County, Inc. (Chair, 2000 - 2002)
Caesar Rodney Rotary Club Community Service Award, 2000
Goodwill Industries Volunteer of the Year Award, 2003