Bill has litigated disputes over the interpretation and enforcement of many types of technology contracts, general commercial contracts and liability insurance policies. He has tried jury and non-jury cases in federal and state trial and appellate courts, before arbitration panels, and by use of other alternative dispute resolution techniques.
Bill writes extensively on technology and business issues, including:
- "Building Your Cyber Incident Response Plan" in Delaware Business, May/June 2017
- “Cybersecurity as an Unfair Practice: FTC Enforcement under Section 5 of the FTC Act” in Business Law Today, June 2016
- “Legal Considerations for Business Contracting in Cloud Computing Services” and “Essential IT Due Diligence in Corporate Transactions” in Internet Law for the Business Lawyer (Second Edition) (American Bar Association 2012)
Bill frequently speaks at seminars, programs and meetings on topics including technology, e-discovery and cybersecurity, among others:
- November 9, 2016: at a program sponsored by the Delaware State Bar Association, Mr. Denny presented “Recent Developments in Data Security.”
September 28, 2016, at a program sponsored by the Delaware Small Business Development Center, Mr. Denny presented “Data Breach and Vendor Risk Management.” This presentation focused on necessary due diligence, essential contract terms and follow-up activities to minimize the risk of harm caused by a vendor cyber security event.
- September 7, 2016: 2016 Secure Delaware Workshop, Mr. Denny presented "Data Breach and Vendors: Strategies to Limit Your Risks of Data Breach and Protect Yourself from Vendor Vulnerabilities."
- December 15 and 16, 2015: National Business Institute Seminar entitled “Legal Ethics of Email.” Mr. Denny was one of two principal speakers.
- October 3, 2015: Delaware State Bar Association Seminar, “Managing E-Discovery Effectively.” Mr. Denny focused on recent developments in e-discovery.
- September 29, 2015: Delaware Cyber Security Workshop, “Changing Legal Landscape in Cybersecurity: Implications for Business.” Mr. Denny focused on recent developments in cybersecurity laws and regulations at a full-day seminar sponsored by the State of Delaware.
- May 6, 2014: Delaware Cyber Security Workshop. “Changing Legal Landscape in Cybersecurity: Implications for Business.” This presentation focused on the latest developments and implications for businesses as they seek to protect their critical infrastructure and comply with laws and regulations for data protection.
- April 10, 2014: ABA Business Section Spring Meeting, Cloud Computing and IT Services Subcommittee. Mr. Denny presented on recent developments in cloud computing contracting practices.
- February 6, 2013: Delaware Cyber Security Workshop. Mr. Denny led a roundtable discussion on data security and data breach notification laws at the full day conference on cybersecurity sponsored by the State of Delaware.
- January 2013: Technology Inn of Court of Wilmington. Mr. Denny led a panel discussion on e-discovery.
- October and November 2013: Client presentations on indemnification and limitation liability provisions in commercial contracts.
- Delaware Business, May/June 2017
- Business Law Today, June 2016
University of Virginia School of Law, 1987, J.D.
University of Helsinki, 1984
Princeton University, A.B., cum laude, 1983
Bar & Court Admissions
- Delaware, 1988
Professional Activities and Honors
- Certified Information Privacy Professional / U.S. Private Sector
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America 2017 in the area of Information Technology Law.
- AV® rated by Martindale-Hubbell.
- Delaware State Bar Association; Co-Chair, E-Discovery and Technology Law Section; Committee on Professional Ethics (former Co-Chair)
- American Bar Association; Business Section, Cyberspace Law Committee; Co-Chair, IT Services and Cloud Computing Subcommittee
- Federal Bar Association, Ad Hoc Committee for Electronic Discovery
- Richard K. Herrmann Technology American Inn of Court