Restructuring, Bankruptcy & Creditors' RightsPractices Main
Potter Anderson has one of the few bankruptcy practices in Delaware that excels in all facets of bankruptcy law, including secured creditor, debtor, creditor committee and major creditor representations.
Clients represent the full range of participants in bankruptcy cases, including secured lenders, debtors, asset purchasers and official creditor committees.
Potter Anderson also practices in other creditors' rights areas, including out-of-court restructurings/workouts, state law receiverships and dissolutions, state law foreclosure, assignments for the benefit of creditors and secured transactions.
Our practice is known for its high level of personal service. Rather than building a reputation based on volume, the team chooses to take on clients that benefit from our high-touch/high-value approach.
- Represents key constituencies in nearly every Delaware “mega” bankruptcy case beginning with serving as counsel to the Official Committee of Equity Holders of Continental Airlines Holdings, Inc. in 1990 and continuing through today with representations of major financial institutions in the Washington Mutual, Inc., Tribune Company and SemCrude L.P. cases
- Represents clients in complex commercial litigation spawned by bankruptcy, including valuation proceedings, fraudulent conveyance cases, corporate breach of fiduciary duty cases and multi-million dollar preference actions.
- Advises in other creditors’ rights areas including out-of-court restructurings/workouts, state law receiverships and dissolutions, state law foreclosure and secured transactions.
- Provides opinions to the financial community in such areas as substantive consolidation, fraudulent conveyances, and bankruptcy remote entities.
- Guides clients through receivership proceedings and dissolutions under state law as an alternative to bankruptcy proceedings under federal law, advising on both judicial and extra-judicial dissolution and winding-up procedures under the Delaware General Corporate Law, as well as state law receivership proceedings.
- January 7, 2019
- May 3, 2018
- November 1, 2017
- October 3, 2017
- September 28, 2017
- August 15, 2017
- May 26, 2017
- November 1, 2016
- Chambers USA 2016 Names 21 Potter Anderson Attorneys and 5 Practice Areas Among the Best in DelawareMay 27, 2016
- The Case For Applying The Delaware Courts’ Recent Transactional “Road Maps” To Bankruptcy ProceedingsNorton Annual Survey of Bankruptcy Law, November, 2018
- Norton Annual Survey of Bankruptcy Law, November, 2018
- Law360, September 24, 2018
- McNeill Offers a Practitioner's Guide to Federal Governmental Creditor Fraudulent Conveyance ActionsAmerican Bankruptcy Law Journal, August 28, 2018
- Delaware Business Court Insider, September 21, 2017
- Norton Annual Survey of Bankruptcy Law, September 2017
- Norton Annual Survey of Bankruptcy Law, September 1, 2017
- Reorganizing Failing Businesses, A Comprehensive Review and Analysis of Financial Restructuring and Business Reorganization, June 1, 2017
- ABI Journal, February 2017
- Uncommonly Common: A Chapter 13 Validation of the Seventh Circuit's Interpretation of Section 1111(b)Norton Journal of Bankruptcy Law and Practice, June 2016
- ABI Journal, December 2015
- Examining Delaware Corporate Governance Through the Nebulous Zone of Insolvency Lens and Delaware ABO Related Issues in the Bankruptcy CourtApril 10, 2014
- National Law Journal, April 30, 2012
- Delaware Business Court Insider, April 18, 2012
- Delaware Business Court Insider, March 7, 2012
- Delaware Business Court Insider, November 9, 2011
- Delaware Business Court Insider, June 22, 2011
- June 1, 2009
- Dealing with the Secondary Market and Vulture Claims Traders -- a Legal PerspectiveThe Americas Restructuring and Insolvency Guide 2004/2005, July 1, 2004
Events & Speaking Engagements
- June 13, 2019
- March 30, 2019
- January 16, 2019
- November 2, 2017