Joseph D. Farris III is an associate in the firm's General Litigation Group. His practice focuses primarily on complex commercial restructurings in the United States Bankruptcy Court for the District of Delaware. He also has experience in corporate law and governance issues.
During law school, Joseph served as the Josiah Oliver Wolcott Fellow to the Honorable Karen L. Valihura of the Delaware Supreme Court and was privileged to extern with the Honorable Sue Robinson of the U.S. District Court, District of Delaware. He was selected by the American College of Bankruptcy as its 2019 Distinguished Law Student for the Third Circuit. Joseph also received the 2018 Louis L. Redding Scholarship and the 2019 Judge Haile L. Alford Excellence Award.
Prior to his legal career, Joseph served on active duty in the United States Navy, both as an enlisted sailor and a naval officer, and was honorably discharged in 2007.
- Co-counsel to the official committee of unsecured creditors, Furniture Factory Ultimate Holding, L.P., et al., Case No. 20-12816 (JTD)
- Counsel to the official committee of unsecured creditors, smarTours, LLC, et al., Case No. 20-12625 (KBO)
- Co-counsel to the debtor, Proteus Digital Health, Inc., Case No. 20-11580 (BLS)
- Co-counsel to the official committee of unsecured creditors, Exide Holdings, Inc., et al., Case No. 20-11157 (CSS)
Co-counsel to the official committee of unsecured creditors, John Varvatos Enterprises, Inc., et al., Case No. 20-11043 (MFW)
- Co-counsel to the official committee of unsecured creditors, True Religion Apparel, Inc., et al., Case No. 20-10941 (CSS)
- Counsel to petitioning creditors, Education Corporate of America, Case No. 20-10034
- Co-counsel to the official committee of unsecured creditors, Celadon Group, Inc., et al., Case No. 19-12606 (KBO)
- Counsel to the ad hoc committee of service providers, MTE Holdings LLC, et al., Case No. 19-12269 (KBO)
- Co-counsel to the certain prepetition and postpetition lenders, Orexigen Therapeutics, Inc., et al., Case No. 18-10518 (KG)
- Representation of Conflicts Committee of MGM Growth Properties LLC in connection with $4.6 billion joint venture with Blackstone Real Estate Income Trust, Inc.
- Representation of National Amusements, Inc. in connections with pending merger of CBS Corporation and Viacom Inc.
- A Demanding Right of Way: An Analysis of the Intersection of Stockholder Corporate Governance and BankruptcyNorton Annual Survey of Bankruptcy Law, November 2020
- Competing Interests of a Government Appointed Public-Private Partnership Board of a Nonprofit Corporation, Del. J. Corp. L.June 2019
- June 2018
Widener University Delaware Law School, J.D., magna cum laude, 2019; Copy Editor, Delaware Journal of Corporate Law; Wolcott Fellowship and John F. Schmutz Corporate and Business Law Institute Fellowship (2018/2019)
University of Michigan, B.S.E. Electrical Engineering, 2003
Bar & Court Admissions
- Delaware, 2019
- U.S. District Court for the District of Delaware, 2020
Professional Activities and Honors
Delaware State Bar Association
American Bar Association
Richard S. Rodney Inn of Court
Delaware Barristers Association
Delaware Community Foundation, Grants Committee Member