Stephen C. Norman practices primarily in the areas of corporate and commercial litigation. Steve has substantial experience in litigating corporate and commercial disputes in the Court of Chancery and the District Court of Delaware, including stockholder class and derivative actions, takeovers and various proceedings under the Delaware General Corporation Law. He frequently counsels stockholders, officers and directors, and Delaware corporations regarding various matters of Delaware corporate and partnership law.
Steve has served as a speaker on Delaware corporate law issues for a number of national and regional law firms as part of their internal continuing education programs. He has written extensively in the areas of corporate and commercial litigation. His credits include the following: Co-author: The Failing Corporation - Directors’ Duties and Creditors’ Rights; Co-author: Directors’ Duties Under Dissolution; Co-author: Directors’ Duties to the Holders of Preferred Stock, Warrants and Debentures; Co-author: The Injunction Roller Coaster, Litigation (Winter 1995).
A longtime participant in firm committees and management, Steve is the former practice leader of the firm's Corporate Group.
Defense and settlement of several stockholder class actions, including actions against AIG, Nationwide, Pepsi, Anheuser-Busch, Citrix, Intel, Ameritrade, The Walt Disney Company, Hallwood Realty Partners, Liquid Audio, Inc., TLC Beatrice International Holdings, Inc. and Marriott Corporation
Defense of various companies, including Wal-Mart, Hewlett-Packard Company, Google, AON, JPMorgan/Chase, National City Bank Corporation, CIBC and Wallace Computer Services, Inc.
Special committee investigations for Citigroup, Newmont Mining Corporation, Lucent Technologies and Rockefeller Center.
Participated as counsel in many of the more significant Delaware corporate decisions over the past twenty years, including:
- Espinoza v. Hewlett-Packard Co., 2011 WL 941464 (Del. Ch.), aff'd sub nom. Hurd v. Espinoza, 34 A.3d 1084 (Del. 2011)
- Zucker v. Andreessen (Hewlett-Packard Co.), 2012 WL 2366448 (Del. Ch.)
- In re Intel Corp. Derivative Litigation, 621 F. Supp. 2d 165 (D. Del. 2009)
- Hexion Specialty Chemicals, Inc. v. Huntsman Corp., 959 A.2d 47 (Del. Ch. 2008)
- In re Walt Disney Co. Derivative Litig., 906 A.2d 27 (Del. 2006)
- In re Walt Disney Company Derivative Litigation, 2005 WL 2056651 (Del. Ch.)
- Perlegos v. Atmel Corp., 2007 WL 475453 (Del. Ch.)
- Levitt Corp. v. Office Depot, Inc.; 2008 WL 1724244 (Del. Ch.)
- Gotham Partners, L.P. v. Hallwood Realty Partners, L.P., 2003 WL 22998803 (Del)
- Gotham Partners, L.P. v. Hallwood Realty Partners, L.P., 855 A.2d 1059 (Del. Ch. 2003)
- Mercier v. Inter-Tel (Delaware), Inc., 929 A.2d 786 (Del. Ch. 2007)
- Moore Corp. Ltd. v. Wallace Computer Services, Inc., 907 F. Supp. 1545 (D. Del. 1995)
- Ivanhoe Partners v. Newmont Mining Corp., 535 A.2d 1334 (Del. 1987)
- Hewlett v. Hewlett-Packard Co., 2002 WL 549137 (Del. Ch.)
- Hewlett v. Hewlett-Packard Co., 2002 WL 818091 (Del Ch.)
- Pfizer v. Warner-Lambert Co., 1999 WL 33236240 (Del. Ch.)
- Disney v. Walt Disney Co., 2004 WL 1776688 (Del. Ch.)
- Hubbard v. Hollywood Park Realty Enterprises, 1991 WL 3151 (Del. Ch.)
- Berlin v. Emerald Partners, 552 A.2d 482 (Del. 1988)
- Citron v. Fairchild Camera and Instrument Corp., 569 A.2d 53 (Del. 1989)
- Carlton Inv. v. TLC Beatrice Intern. Holdings, Inc., 1996 WL 189435 (Del. Ch.).
- August 20, 2020
- April 23, 2020
- August 15, 2019
- April 25, 2019
- August 15, 2018
- May 3, 2018
- August 15, 2017
- Three Potter Anderson Attorneys Named “Lawyers of the Year” and 21 Attorneys Named as "the Best Lawyers in America" for 2017August 15, 2016
Events & Speaking Engagements
Hofstra School of Law, 1985, J.D., With Distinction; Hofstra Law Review, 1984-1985; Member, Notes and Comments Editor, 1983-1984
Law Clerk, The Honorable William W. Caldwell, United States District Judge for the Middle District of Pennsylvania, 1985-1987
Indiana University of PA, B.A., summa cum laude, 1982
Bar & Court Admissions
- Pennsylvania, 1985
Professional Activities and Honors
Recognized by Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business as a leading practitioner in the area of Chancery litigation
Recognized by The Best Lawyers in America for Commercial Litigation, Corporate Law and Litigation – Mergers & Acquisitions, most recently in the 2021 edition
American Bar Association – former co-chair of the Litigation Section's Corporate Counsel Committee, former co-editor of the Newsletter for the Corporate Counsel Committee
Catholic Leadership Institute – former director and former member of the development committee
Delaware State Bar Association