Thomas A. Mullen’s practice focuses on corporate governance, mergers and acquisitions, and transactions involving Delaware business entities. He regularly advises corporations, directors, board committees and investors regarding fiduciary duties under Delaware law and all aspects of the Delaware General Corporation Law and Delaware partnership and LLC statutes. Tom is frequently engaged as counsel for conflict committees of master limited partnerships in connection with drop downs, capital restructurings and M&A transactions. He also provides legal opinions concerning Delaware business entity statutes and corporate and commercial law issues.
Tom is an active member of the Private Equity & Venture Capital Committee and the Mergers & Acquisitions Committee of the American Bar Association’s Section of Business Law. He is a frequent speaker on Delaware corporate and alternative entity law, including continuing legal education programs and programs sponsored by the ABA and other bar associations.
Tom is recognized in Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business as a leading Delaware corporate/M&A and alternative entities lawyer, and in The Best Lawyers in America in the area of Corporate law.
Represented the audit committee of AmeriGas partners, L.P. (“AmeriGas”) in connection with the acquisition of AmeriGas by UGI Corporation’s acquisition of AmeriGas.
Represented the conflicts committee of EnLink Midstream Partners, LP (“EnLink Partners”) in connection with EnLink Midstream, LLC’s roll-up acquisition of EnLink Partners.
Delaware counsel for the special committee of Antero Resources Corp. in connection with Antero Midstream GP LP’s roll-up acquisition of Antero Midstream Partners LP.
Represented the conflicts committee of Energy Transfer Equity, L.P., in connection with its roll-up acquisition of Energy Transfer Partners, L.P.
Delaware counsel for the conflicts committee Alon USA Partners, LP (“Alon USA”) in connection with Delek US Holdings’ roll-up acquisition of Alon USA.
- Represented the conflicts committee of Teekay Offshore Partners LP (“Offshore”) in connection with Brookfield Business Partners’ strategic partnership with Teekay Corp. and strategic investment in Offshore.
- Represented the conflicts committee of World Point Terminals, LP (“WPT”) in connection with the acquisition of WPT by World Point Terminals, Inc.
- Represented the conflicts committee of Energy Transfer Partners, L.P. in connection with its merger with Sunoco Logistics Partners LP.
- Represented the conflicts committee of Columbia Pipeline Partners LP (“CPPL”) in connection with the acquisition of CPPL by TransCanada Corporation.
- Represented the conflicts committee of Sanchez Production Partners LP in connection with a series of drop down transactions with Sanchez Energy Corporation.
- Represented the audit committee of HollyFrontier Corporation in connection with a drop down of refinery units to Holly Energy Partners.
- Represented a transaction committee of Clayton Williams Energy, Inc. in connection with a private placement transaction with Ares Management, L.P.
- Represented the conflicts committee of Blueknight Energy Partners, L.P. in connection with Ergon Inc.’s acquisition of Blueknight’s general partner and a related drop down transaction.
- Represented the conflicts committee of MGM Growth Properties LLC in connection with its acquisition of Borgata Hotel Casino’s real property from MGM Resorts.
- Represented a special committee of SL Industries Inc. in connection with its acquisition by Handy & Harman Ltd.
- Represented the conflicts committee of Foresight Energy LP, in connection with Murray Energy Corporation’s strategic investment in Foresight and its general partner, and a related drop down transaction.
- Represented a special committee of Sunoco LP in connection with a series of drop down transactions with Energy Transfer Partners LP.
- Represented the conflicts committee of Eagle Rock Energy Partner LP in connection with the sale of its midstream business to Regency Energy Partners, and in connection with its merger with Vanguard Natural Resources, LLC.
- Served as Delaware counsel for The Williams Companies, Inc. in connection with its acquisition of GIP’s ownership interests in Access Midstream Partners, LP, and in connection with the merger of Williams Partners L.P. and Access Midstream Partners, LP.
- Served as Delaware counsel for Skilled Healthcare Group Inc. in connection with its merger with Genesis HealthCare.
- Served as Delaware counsel for Media General, Inc. in connection with its merger with LIN Media LLC.
- Served as Delaware counsel for EPL Oil & Gas Inc. in connection with its acquisition by Energy XXI (Bermuda) Ltd.
- Served as Delaware counsel for Suntory Holdings Ltd. in connection with its acquisition of Beam, Inc.
- Represented a special committee of Crosstex Energy, Inc., in connection with the combination of Crosstex and its MLP, Crosstex Energy LP, with Devon Energy Corporation’s midstream business.
- Represented the conflicts committee of Inergy Midstream, LP in connection with the combination of Inergy Midstream and Inergy LP with Crestwood Midstream Partners LP.
- August 20, 2020
- May 11, 2020
- April 23, 2020
- January 14, 2020
- October 2, 2019
- August 15, 2019
- April 25, 2019
- April 2, 2019
- Potter Anderson Advises ETE Conflicts Committee on Simplification Transaction to Create ~$90 Billion EnterpriseAugust 17, 2018
- August 15, 2018
- May 30, 2018
- May 29, 2018
- May 3, 2018
- August 15, 2017
- Three Potter Anderson Attorneys Named “Lawyers of the Year” and 21 Attorneys Named as "the Best Lawyers in America" for 2017August 15, 2016
- Potter Anderson Serves as Delaware Counsel to Williams Companies in $6B Acquisition of Shale Gas FirmJune 16, 2014
Events & Speaking Engagements
- Millard and Ronan Discuss Latest Legal Issues for Venture Capital Investors at ABA Business Law Annual MeetingSeptember 23, 2020
- October 19, 2017
- October 12, 2017
- September 15, 2017
Franklin and Marshall College, B.A., 1989
University of Pennsylvania Law School, J.D., 1992
Bar & Court Admissions
- Delaware, 1993
Professional Activities and Honors
Member, Business Law Section, American Bar Association
Member, Corporate Law and Commercial Law Sections, Delaware State Bar Association
Recognized by Chambers USA in Corporate/M&A: Alternative Entities
Recognized by The Best Lawyers in America for Corporate Law, most recently in the 2021 edition