Myron T. Steele is a partner in the firm's Corporate Group. He is the former Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of Delaware.
Previously, he served as a Judge of the Superior Court and a Vice Chancellor of the Delaware Court of Chancery after eighteen years in private litigation practice. He has presided over major corporate litigation and LLC and limited partner governance disputes, and writes frequently on issues of corporate document interpretation and corporate governance.
Chief Justice Steele has published over 400 opinions resolving disputes among members of limited liability companies, and limited partnerships, and between shareholders and management of both publicly traded and close corporations. He speaks and writes frequently on issues of corporate document interpretation and corporate governance. His thesis for the LL.M. degree, Judicial Scrutiny of Fiduciary Duties in Delaware Limited Partnerships and Limited Liability Companies, focused on the application of common law fiduciary duties within the contractual framework of alternative business organizations. It was published in the Delaware Journal of Corporate Law (32 Del. J. Corp. L. 1 (2007)). The November 2005 issue of The Business Lawyer included an article he co-authored with Sean J. Griffith entitled On Corporate Law Federalism: Threatening the Thaumatrope (61 Bus. Law. 1 (2005)). He co-authored an article with J.W. Verret entitled Delaware’s Guidance: Ensuring Equity for the Modern Witenagemot published in the Fall 2007 issue of the Virginia Law & Business Review (2 Va. L. & Bus. Rev. 188 (2007)). That article formed the basis for a keynote speech to the Business Law Section at the 2007 ABA Annual Meeting.
For the last ten years he served as judicial advisor to the Mergers and Acquisitions Committee of the ABA Business Law Section. He also co-authored an article entitled “Freedom of Contract and Default Contractual Duties in Delaware Limited Partnerships and Limited Liability Companies” (46 Am. Bus. L.J. 221 (Summer 2009)) and an essay entitled “The Moral Underpinning of Delaware’s Modern Corporate Fiduciary Duties” (26 Notre Dame J.L. Ethics & Pub. Pol’y 3 (2012)).
Chief Justice Steele serves as Adjunct Professor of Law at University of Pennsylvania Law School, University of Virginia Law School, and Pepperdine University Law School.
- Singh v. Attenborough: Delaware Supreme Court Slams Door Shut on Aiding and Abetting Claims Against Board AdvisorsBusiness Law Today, August 18, 2016
- Examining Delaware Corporate Governance Through the Nebulous Zone of Insolvency Lens and Delaware ABO Related Issues in the Bankruptcy CourtApril 10, 2014
- March 31, 2017
- Potter Anderson Partner and Former Chief Justice of the Delaware Supreme Court, Myron T. Steele, to be Inducted into The Warren E. Burger SocietyNovember 17, 2016
- Potter Anderson Partner, Myron T. Steele, to Speak at the 22nd Annual Distressed Investing ConferenceNovember 30, 2015
- Potter Anderson partner, Myron T. Steele, to speak at the USC Marshall Corporate Directors Forum in Los AngelesNovember 12, 2015
- November 5, 2015
- August 24, 2015
- April 21, 2015
- April 16-18, 2015
- April 9, 2015
- Ethisphere Magazine ranked Myron T. Steele second in its list of the 100 Most Influential People in Business EthicsEthisphere Magazine, December 24, 2014
- October 15, 2014
- Former Chief Justice of the Delaware Supreme Court and Potter Anderson Partner, Myron T. Steele, Named Weinberg Center Advisory Board ChairAugust 4, 2014
- November 13, 2013
- September 15, 2016
- September 8, 2016
- May 23-24, 2016
- The Significance of Recent Developments in Delaware Corporate Governance Law and What Practitioners and Their Clients Need to KnowMay 3, 2016
- April 22, 2016
- April 14, 2016
- Two Potter Anderson Attorneys to Speak at the 38th Annual Conference on Securities Regulation and Business LawDallas, TX, February 11-12, 2016
- Potter Anderson Partner, Myron T. Steele, to Serve as Keynote Speaker at PLI's Corporate Governance - A Master Class 2016New York, NY, February 10, 2016
- Potter Anderson Partner, Myron T. Steele, to Speak at the Society of Corporate Secretaries & Governance Professionals National ConferenceChicago, IL, June 24-27, 2015
- Athens, Greece, June 16-17, 2015
- Potter Anderson partner, Myron T. Steele to Speak at the 14th Annual International Mergers and Acquisitions ConferenceWaldorf Astoria, New York, NY, June 10-11, 2015
- Two Potter Anderson Partners to Speak at PLI's Delaware Law Developments 2015: What All Business Lawyers Need to KnowNew York, NY, June 4, 2015
- New York, NY, May 5-6, 2015
- May 1, 2015
- Two Potter Anderson Partners to Speak at the 37th Annual Conference on Securities Regulation and Business LawDallas, TX, February 12-13, 2015
- University of Delaware, November 19 - 20, 2014
- NACD Southern California Chapter: How Informed Board Members Can Navigate a Difficult Transaction in 2015Los Angeles, CA, November 11, 2014
- Myron T. Steele to Moderate Panel: What is the Future of the Board-Centric Model?October 24, 2014
- Myron T. Steele to Present on Panel: Eat, Pray, Represent Me: Are You My Client and Do I Owe You a Duty?Toyko, Japan, October 19 - 24, 2014
University of Virginia School of Law, J.D., 1970; LL.M, 2005
University of Virginia, B.A., Foreign Affairs
Bar & Court Admissions
- United States Supreme Court
Professional Activities and Honors
- Ranked as one of the 100 most influential people in corporate governance in the United States by The Directorship Magazine.
- Ranked as second in its list of “the 100 Most Influential People in Business Ethics for 2007” by Ethisphere Magazine.
- Lawdragon Magazine has consistently placed him among its annual Lawdragon 500 “Leading Lawyers in America” and “Top Judges in America.”
- Past President of the Conference of Chief Justices (CCJ) and Chair of the National Center for State Courts (NCSC) Board of Directors for 2012-2013.
- Co-Chair on the ABA Joint Task Force on M&A Litigation.
- Awarded the 2012 Judicial Achievement Award by the U.S. Chamber Institute for Legal Reform in Washington, DC.
- Inducted into The Citadel Business School's 2015 Hall of Fame: Leaders of Principle
- Board of Trustees and founding Fellow of the American College of Governance Counsel