Employment & Labor CounselingPractices Main
Potter Anderson employment attorneys provide counseling to local and national clients on the implementation of policies and procedures to assist clients in complying with the extensive regulations that impact today’s workplace. Our clients include major Delaware employers from both the public and private sector, cultural institutions of national repute, multinational corporations, institutions of higher education, private and public secondary schools, and mid-size employers representing a wide variety of industries.
We counsel our clients on:
- Discrimination and harassment, family leave, plant closing and whistleblower rights, and working with clients to establish related training programs.
- Ethics and other corporate investigations involving alleged misdoing by employees at all levels, including senior management.
- Corporate compliance, including wage and hour and independent contractor classification.
- Designing, validating and implementing workplace downsizing processes, including advice on potential WARN liabilities, age discrimination claims, voluntary early retirement separation programs involving the employer's defined benefit pension plan, severance benefit plans and agreements, and the impact of mass terminations on the employer's tax-qualified plans.
- Developing personnel policies and practices, employee handbooks, summary plan descriptions, sexual harassment and equal employment policies, employment contracts, termination agreements and releases, and drug and alcohol policies as well as hiring, discipline and termination practices.
- Litigation avoidance, including training on employment-related topics such as union avoidance, employee supervision, discipline and discharge, sexual and other wrongful harassment, reductions-in-force, and employment discrimination.
Union avoidance methods, including supervisor training and responding to union organizing campaigns.
- Confrontation of threats of mass picketing at their facilities or events.
- August 15, 2017
- Client Alert: Governor Carney Signs New Wage History Law that Prohibits Employers from Asking Job Candidates about Compensation HistoryJune 19, 2017
- Donald Wolfe Ranks in the Top Ten 2017 Delaware Super Lawyers; 10 Attorneys in Five Practices RecognizedJune 5, 2017
- May 26, 2017
- May 1, 2017
- CLIENT ALERT: U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit Rules that Discrimination Based on Sexual Orientation is a Form of Sex Discrimination Prohibited under Title VIIApril 7, 2017
- November 23, 2016
- November 1, 2016
- CLIENT ALERT: Department of Labor Publishes Final Changes to Overtime Requirements Under the Fair Labor Standards ActJune 1, 2016
- Chambers USA 2016 Names 21 Potter Anderson Attorneys and 5 Practice Areas Among the Best in DelawareMay 27, 2016
- February 5, 2016
- October 9, 2015
- July 20, 2015
- July 1, 2015
- May 19, 2015
- May 23, 2014
- October 10, 2011
- May 1, 2011
- April 1, 2011
- Potter Anderson & Corroon's McDonough Named to HR Executive's List of Most Powerful Employment Attorneys in the CountryJuly 9, 2009
- Jury finds no evidence of racial discrimination in employee's terminationJune 1, 2006
- The Affordable Care Act’s Rules for Measurement and Waiting Periods: What Is the Difference and What Are the Risks?Bloomberg BNA, May 16, 2014
- Your Company Is a ‘Large Employer’ Under the Affordable Care Act—Now What? Requirements for Coverage and Potential PenaltiesBloomberg BNA, May 14, 2014
- Is Your Company a ‘Large Employer’ Under the Affordable Care Act? Counting Employees and Assessing the OptionsBloomberg BNA, May 9, 2014
- Inside Counsel, May 21, 2012
- Inside Counsel, April 23, 2012
- Inside Counsel, March 26, 2012
- Inside Counsel, March 12, 2012
- Inside Counsel, March 5, 2012
- Inside Counsel, February 20, 2012
- InsideCounsel, February 6, 2012
- InsideCounsel, January 25, 2012
- InsideCounsel.com, January 9, 2012
- InsideCounsel, December 26, 2011
- Delaware Law Weekly, November 29, 2011
- The NLRB's Pro-Union Agenda Marches On: Recent Decisions Add Organization of Micro-Units and Other Union-Friendly RulesBloomberg Law Reports, November 10, 2011
- Bloomberg Law Reports, September 21, 2011
- Bloomberg Law Reports, July 12, 2011
- Delaware Law Weekly, June 29, 2011
- July 7, 2009
Events & Speaking Engagements
- Potter Anderson Hosts Seminar on Protecting Your Business: Cyber Threats, Employees and Financial SecurityMay 16, 2017
- Dover, Delaware, December 15, 2016
- Physical and Cognitive Disabilities Under the ADADelaware State Bar Association, December 8, 2016
- December 6, 2016
- April 26, 2016
- February 23, 2016
- New Castle, DE, February 10, 2016
- DuPont Country Club, December 10, 2015
- Seminar: What to Expect When Government Regulators (and Their Private Counterparts) Look into Your BusinessMay 12, 2015
- DuPont Country Club, May 6, 2014
- DuPont Country Club, September 25, 2013
- DuPont Country Club, October 18, 2012
- Du Pont Country Club, May 3, 2012
- Wilmington, DE, November 16, 2011