Michael P. Maxwell advises clients on matters of Delaware corporate and business law in transactions involving Delaware alternative entities and corporations, including investment and private equity fund transactions, fund formations, joint ventures, cross border transactions, mergers, acquisitions, asset sales and purchases, dissolutions and restructurings. He also represents both lenders and borrowers in a variety of commercial financing transactions, including asset-based financing, real estate mortgage financings and other credit related transactions. Mike also advises management, boards and special committees of Delaware entities on matters of operation and governance, including with respect to fiduciary duty and contractual interpretation issues. Mike provides legal opinions on issues of Delaware law in connection with the foregoing.
Mike currently serves as a member of the bar association drafting committee responsible for the Delaware Limited Liability Company Act, the Delaware Revised Uniform Limited Partnership Act, and the Delaware Revised Partnership Act. Mike assists with annual edits to Symonds & O'Toole on Delaware Limited Liability Companies, published by CSC/LexisNexis and co-authors articles on amendments to Delaware’s corporate and alternative entity statutes and the Delaware UCC, which are published regularly in CSC’s Delaware Laws Governing Business Entities.
- Delaware counsel to a private equity fund with respect to a sale by one of its subsidiaries of an investment in a Chinese wholly-foreign owned entity.
- Delaware counsel to a large private equity fund related to the acquisition of certain oil and gas companies and assets.
- Delaware counsel to private equity fund with respect to 9 billion dollar buyout of a real estate company that owns shopping centers.
- Delaware counsel for various private equity and hedge funds in connection with formation, governance and structure.
- Delaware counsel to company entering into a joint venture for purpose of acquiring debt instruments.
- Delaware counsel to a minority member of a joint venture LLC in connection with bringing in additional investors to the joint venture LLC.
- Counsel to various lenders and borrowers in real estate mortgage financing transactions
- Counsel to Delaware corporation in sale of assets.
- Business Law Today, March 2021
- October 4, 2020
- October 4, 2019
- April 26, 2018
- Maxwell Discusses the Chancery Court Dismissal of Stockholder Action Challenging Private Equity DealBusiness Law Today, October, 2017
- Maxwell Discusses Eliminating Fiduciary Duty Uncertainty: The Benefits of Effectively Modifying Fiduciary Duties in LLC AgreementsFebruary, 2013
- August 19, 2021
- January 11, 2021
- August 20, 2020
- January 7, 2019
Events & Speaking Engagements
- December 21, 2021
- November 4, 2021
- October 21, 2021
- April 21, 2021
- November 19, 2020
- November 17, 2020
- October 22, 2020
- August 19, 2020
- February 27, 2020
- February 23, 2020
- October 24, 2019
- June 20, 2019
- June 13, 2019
- May 9, 2019
- February 24, 2019
- January 8, 2019
- October 23, 2018
- July 11, 2018
- May 11, 2018
- December 14-15, 2017
- October 24, 2017
- Whittaker and Maxwell Discuss Exit Strategies in LLC Agreements: Member Withdrawal, Resignation or DisassociationMarch 16, 2017
- February 26 - March 1, 2017
- September 28, 2016
- Maxwell Presents Webinar on Wrapping It Up for Alternative Entities: What To Do When The End is Near for LLCs and LPsSeptember 13, 2016
- May 12, 2016
- May 28, 2014
Tulane Law School, J.D.
University of Louisville, B.A.
Bar & Court Admissions
- Delaware, 2008
Professional Activities and Honors
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America for Securitization and Structured Finance Law, 2021, 2022
Member, American Bar Association, Business Law Section
Member, Delaware State Bar Association
Member, J. Reuben Clark Law Society
Contributing Editor, Business Law Today, the news platform of the ABA Business Law Section