Joy A. Barrist offers a full range of commercial real estate law services involving the finance, acquisition, sale, lease and development of complex multimillion-dollar real estate projects throughout Delaware, around the country and internationally. She regularly represents banks and lending institutions, private equity firms, investors, developers, owners, landlords, and tenants.
Joy consistently represents both lenders and borrowers in various types of commercial real estate financing transactions, including acquisition, development and construction lending. Her experience also includes CMBS and mezzanine debt transactions. She handles finance and other real estate matters for all asset classes including multifamily, hospitality, office, retail, industrial, mixed-use and medical.
Joy represents financial institutions as lead lenders and participants in syndicated loan transactions. Her practice also includes the representation of lenders in workouts, financial restructuring, loan sales and the purchase of loan pool portfolios.
In addition to real estate finance, her experience extends to asset-based finance (including equipment, inventory and receivables financing), working capital lines of credit and various other complex commercial loan facilities.
Joy’s practice also includes representations with respect to other real estate and general business matters such as easements, lot purchase agreements, sale and purchase of business assets and ownership interests in business entities, the formation of Delaware entities and the rendering of legal opinions in finance and other commercial transactions.
She is a frequent speaker on topics of commercial real estate and in particular, real estate finance and construction lending.
The current edition of Chambers USA includes her among listed Delaware real estate practitioners, noting Joy "as someone who is 'incredibly responsive, insightful and asks the right questions.'"
Joy is the vice practice group leader of the firm's Transactions and Corporate Counseling Group as well as co-chair of the firm's Women's Initiative.
- Represented the lead lender in a $67,500,000 syndicated acquisition and construction facility for a historic building in Wilmington, Delaware.
- Represented private equity group on a $12,000,000 renovation loan for various properties located outside of Detroit, Michigan.
- Represented a non-profit company in connection with the purchase of a conservation easement on property located in Delaware.
- Represented business owner in the sale of 21 franchised restaurant locations in various States for approximately $24,000,000.
- Represented borrower on a $36,000,000 permanent loan for Phase I of a 900,000 square feet retail center located in Newark, Delaware.
- Represented borrower on a $5,505,000 construction and a $5,450,00 construction loan purchase and development renovation of residential condominiums located in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
- Represented lender on a $8,000,000 multi-purpose revolving line of credit; $4,000,000 equipment line of credit; $13,000,000 term loan made to 14 entities, secured by 13 properties located in various jurisdictions, including the United States Virgin Islands, various IP properties and other assets.
- Represented private equity firm in connection with the acquisition and financing of various retail, residential and hospitality projects throughout the United States, many involving CMBS financing.
- Represented lender on a $15,400,000 commercial mortgage loan for refinance of a franchised hotel located in Rockaway, New Jersey.
- Represented Japanese company in the acquisition of 181 acre industrial site in Pasadena, Texas.
- Represented lender on a $18,000,000 permanent loan and a $13,500,000 construction to permanent loan related to the refinance of Phase I debt and the construction of Phase II of an apartment complex located in Wilmington, Delaware.
- Represented lender on a $22,260,000 construction loan for the construction of a residential apartment complex located in Vero Beach, Florida.
- Represented real estate investment/development company in negotiating a lot purchase agreement with a national homebuilder valued at approximately $17,000,000.
- Represented private equity group on a $5,200,000 renovation loan for an apartment project located in Georgia.
- Represented lender on a $23,653,194 construction to permanent loan and a $1,326,000 land loan for construction of a residential apartment complex located in New Castle, Delaware.
- Represented lender on a $39,500,000 syndicated construction to permanent loan for a residential project located in Coral Springs, Florida.
- Represented lender on a $5,300,000 and a $2,650,000 construction loan for conversion of an office building into a franchised hotel located in Wilmington, Delaware.
- Represented lender on an amendment of a $30,700,000 construction loan for a residential apartment construction project in New Castle, Delaware.
- May 20, 2021
- Potter Anderson Chair Kathleen Furey McDonough Re-elected to Lead Firm; Leading Delaware Firm Also Announces New Executive Committee and Practice LeadershipMarch 29, 2021
- August 20, 2020
- April 23, 2020
- August 15, 2019
- April 25, 2019
- February 9, 2019
- September 4, 2018
- August 15, 2018
- May 30, 2018
- May 3, 2018
- August 15, 2017
- April 17, 2017
Events & Speaking Engagements
- May 6, 2021
- November 10, 2020
- October 8, 2020
- May 14, 2020
- January 15, 2020
- November 12, 2019
- September 7, 2019
- May 9, 2019
- February 24, 2019
- September 25, 2018
- May 17, 2018
- May 11, 2018
- November 15, 2017
- September 16, 2017
- June 14, 2017
- April 21, 2017
Villanova University School of Law, J.D., 2001
Bar & Court Admissions
Professional Activities and Honors
Fellow, American College of Mortgage Attorneys, 2015 – present; Delaware State Chair, January 2017 – present
Fellow, American Bar Foundation, May 2019
American Bar Association: Chair, Mortgage Lending Committee, Real Property Trust & Estates Section of the American Bar Association, 2018 – present; vice-chair, 2014 – 2018
Board Member, Delaware Commercial Real Estate Women, January 2016 – present; vice-president January 2017 – January 2019; president January 2019 – present
Board Member, MidCoast Community Bank, September 2017 – April 2020 (bank sold)
Regional Board Member, First Citizens Community Bank, April 2020 – present
Member, Committee of 100, 2005 – present; Auction Committee, May 2020 – present
Trustee, Board of Trustees of Delaware College of Art and Design, Finance Committee, Buildings and Grounds Committee, and Governance Committee, October 2019 – present
Delaware Bar Association
Pennsylvania Bar Association
Philadelphia Bar Association
Delaware Bankers Association
Loan Review Committee, West End Neighborhood House
Listed in Chambers USA (2014 – present)
Ranked in The Best Lawyers in America in Real Estate Law in Delaware, most recently in the 2021 edition
Ranked in Delaware Business Times, Top 40 Business Professionals Under 40 in the State of Delaware 2015
Ranked in the American Society of Legal Advocates, Top 40 Corporate Lawyers Under 40 in the State of Delaware for 2013